Blogging since 2006 ~ Formerly known as Stamping Therapy

Monday, August 10, 2009

My First Diorama Card

Today on the DRS Designs blog, the biweekly challenge is make a diorama card. It was a temporary panic... my first challenge on the design team and I've never made a diorama card. Talk about pressure! LOL! But I read the tutorial found here on SCS. So, if you're thinking about skipping this challenge, it's not allowed! (just kidding) But really consider giving it a try. My DH was super impressed.



The tutorial is for a 3 inch high card. You can actually make it tall enough for the stamps/image you would like to use. These are the photos I took along the way... so I can come back and review them. *~* What I discovered was that even though I have a Scor-Pal, I need to be careful at scoring and taping the pieces together. The middle section is bowed.

The middle section was cut at 6.5 x 4 inches. It was scored at 1 inch from each short side. In this photo, you will see the middle piece is wild wasabi. I changed my mind during the process and in the rest of the photos you will see it as bashful blue. I cut the front and back pieces 8.5 x 4 inches. They were scored 2 inches from each short side. The front piece is wild wasabi and the back piece is bashful blue.

If you would like a larger view of any of the photos, right click on the photo and open another tab or window.



DRS Designs Stamps:
Flower Fence w/ Birdhouses (M626), Easy Grass Background (E059)
Ink: black, bashful blue, wild wasabi, certainly celery
Accessories: Scor-Pal, handmade cloud templates (made with scallop scissors), sponge, Copic markers



I used an Creative Memories blade to cut out the box (instead of using punches). I first drew lines on the back to guide me. I used red sticky tape to adhere the middle piece to the back one.



Here is an arial view of the back and front pieces adhered together.


At this point, I decorated the mid section. I used a Martha Stewart butterfly punch with pumpkin pie cardstock and the DRS Designs Flower Border stamp (H1076) colored with Copics. Sorry that I don't have the color numbers. By the time I was done, my table was a HUGE mess! And I really lost track of it all. LOL! But I think I'll be better organized the next time. *~*


After adhering the front piece, I finished the details. (Important advice you may need if you're like me and just fly into a project without planning it.... Stamp the grass BEFORE you adhere it to the rest of the card!) Can you see me shaking my head at myself? LOL!

DRS Stamps: Sheldon the Turtle (F720 ), Silhouette Believe Butterfly (D226 ) stamped in real red
Clouds: SU scallop circle punch with Liquid Applique
Leaves: EK Success leaf punch

That's it. My first diorama card. Hope to see some wonderful creations. Please link your diorama to the DRS blog. If you're uploading to another gallery, please use the keyword DSC27.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Awesome job! You did great on this....love it all!

Melanie said...

oh that's adorable!

Anonymous said...

This is so adorable Jen!!! Love your step by step pics!! Thanks for all the hard work!! HUGS

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

This card is so interesting in all its layers, Jen. i can't believe you've never done a diorama before! By the looks of your fabulous card, it seems you've made tons of them before this!! I'm sure you'll be doing a lot of these. Aren't they fun???? Great job!!

Jennifer E. said...

So cool! I love the image you put in the background--you've also colored it so perfectly! Great job with the challenge!